Monday, December 29, 2014

Cookie Monster Galaxy: Interview

"My name is Belaidi Samir but in my dream I’m Cookie Monster Galaxy (Instrumentalist, Pianist, Composer, Producer, Beatmaker, Designer, Gamer, and Dreamer) 
from Paris."



How did you come up with the name Cookie Monster Galaxy?

I wanted to choose something weird but breathable you know what I mean?

When did you first start producing? 

I started producing when I was 17 … My first instrument was a casio piano that I bought in a flea market with my best friends. I had a myspace and it was cool! Myspace was amazing! I published a remix of Nujabes in 2009 on Myspace. But I needed a computer and a drum machine to start, I worked at the Adidas store when I was a teenager in order to pay my first mac computer and my first Akai MPD 32. Good memories !!!

 Which albums or songs bring back good memories? 

(ALBUM) METAPHORICAL MUSIC BY NUJABES !

(Song : Man on the moon by Kid Cudi from « A kid Named Cudi ») This is my very first mixtape that i downloaded on the internet, in 2008. Daaamn !!!!!!!!! I listened to the track on itunes .. 2450 times …

When you were growing up what did you mostly listen to? 

I grew up in Paris, Paris is a beautiful city, It's history and architecture is very inspiring for my work. I listened to a lot of jazz when I was young (Miles Davis, Ahmad Jamal) and I remember people laughed at me because I listened to jazz ahhahaha! It might be awkward for them as a teenager to listen to jazz. I remember that I listened to a lot of jazz on an old iPod that I bought for $5 in a flea market.

What is the music scene in Paris like? 

There are hugely talented artists but unfortunately there's not a lot of underground music events. LA for example, there's a big underground music community (Low End Theory).

What are the musical differences between Paris and LA?

Openness is better in Los Angeles

Los Angeles has a very open musical mind. That is why all the producers, rappers, and beatmakers want to live in Los angeles. I would like to meet with Flying Lotus, drink a coffee with him and play Marvel VS Capcom 2 with him 
  
How would you describe the music you make? 

Relaxing and Inspiring 

What did you hope to achieve by releasing the BLUE EP?

BLUE EP was released one year ago now. I decided to stop projects to focus myself on my work at Italdred Records, Modern Filth Los Angeles Records and Laruche Records.

Who are the best new producers out right now?

The best producer does not exist. They exist only as artists who express their stories. If you told me "which producer inspires you the most"? FLYING LOTUS !!! His journey is beautiful, motivating and inspiring!

In which ways has Nujabes inspired you? 

Nujabes inspires me a lot! He was shy, he was discreet but above all he was humble. Each album has a story .. His story ... The story of an artist who gave a chance to other artists to express their story. The saddest thing about Nujabes is that he left behind a brother, a mother, and her daughter.
 Rest In Peace Seba Jun 





No comments:

Post a Comment