Thursday, November 27, 2014

Fiendsh: Interview

"I started making beats after the almighty pope told me to try make some beats one night when we were freestyling, I must have been like 17" 

Can you explain the meaning of "Fiendsh"? How did you come up with the name? 

I belong to the Hut of Friendship, first and foremost. I started out DJ’ing in Thailand and went by DJ Friendship so people would remember the name. It worked and I got to DJ a couple gigs. When I was releasing instrumental hip hop I wasn’t dj friendship, so I cut a bunch of letters out from dj friendship and ended up with Fiendsh.

Was there a music scene in the area you grew up in? If so how would you describe it?
Grew up in BKK, Thailand, moved to Chicago a year ago for college. Bangkok is home to me. 
Yea there was music, but I wasn’t into the scene there at all, thought it was all bullshit. It’s just all a bunch of depressed emo motherfuckers singing into mics about how they're depressed motherfuckers.

Which cultures have you been influenced by? 
I grew up in Thailand and there is a heavy Buddhist culture there, I’ve never been an avid Buddhist so I can’t say that it’s affected me tremendously.

How does the music you create describe yourself? 
 Its laidback, and I’m a chill guy, don’t really sweat about much, I just kinda sit back, and make music, so I’ve always been a fan of hip hop. I was never a fan of that thug g shit, I preferred other vibes, that slow and chill vibe, sing about me – Kendrick Lamar, you know how we do it – Ice Cube, the message – Dr. Dre. So I wanted to create music like that, a whole album like that, and album that’s really laid back and chill throughout.

 "I used to release a new EP every week, I did that for like 6-10 months and posted it on my soundcloud page every Friday. The EP’s were always between 4-7 tracks"


What does Flawless Leauge mean to you?
Ulysses hit me up on soundcloud a while back, I forgot how long ago it was now, asking if I wanted to join, I checked his shit out and saw that he knew how to promote and was serious about this shit, so I decided to join, thought why the hell not. And now I’m really happy I joined, Ulysses is flawless and flawless is him.

Are there any producers you would recommend that are pushing the envelope right now?
No new producer has made a big impact recently, the best producers currently are
Fiendsh/ Kanye/ Madlib/ B!nk/ NO ID/ Statik Selektah/ By Like/ Just Blaze/


Who are your main influences?
My main influences have been Kanye and Dilla no doubt. My beats have got that Dilla aesthetic while it has the Kanye ambition.


Why is sampling important?
Hip Hop started out with sampling, sampling is true to hip hop as the kick and snare, it’s that raw aspect of just taking some shit you love, looping and and adding some drums on top, its way for the outsider to step in and create as well.

"I was tired of releasing material so often, so I decided to not release anything for 4 months and create 1 EP instead, that EP was Al Capone. I made over 70 beats during those 4 months and cut them down to just 5"














No comments:

Post a Comment