Thursday, July 17, 2014

Yungest: Interview


For my latest interview I got to exchange words with the flyest chick out of Denmark. Nigar (Yungest) is a rapper, producer, and singer all in one. With only 5 songs on her Soundcloud she already has the whole internet waiting for what she will do next.Read below to learn about her upcoming EP and some of her musical influences.











Is there a story behind your musician name? What is your birth name and current age?

N: Well, I've always been the youngest within my friends, and they used to call me yung vaseline, because I literally use a tub of vaseline a month; so I decided to switch it up to yungest, since everybody wants to be 'yung something' nowadays. My real name is Nigar /nyjaah, knee-gar, whatever/ and I'm 19 years young. 

Can you explain life in Denmark to the readers who know nothing about it?

N: Denmark is a small country, I live in Copenhagen and that's basically the only relevant place in Denmark. Copenhagen is really nice, from the people to the culture! Great fashion sense out here and people like to drink and get high. But our public transportation and food prices are ridiculous. Being rich in America does NOT make you rich in Denmark!

Is there a music scene where you live? If so can you describe it?

N: DEFINITELY! I used to focus a lot on getting out of Denmark and doing music on an international plan but there is definitely hope here. Denmark is filled with young artists and I'd like to say everyone is very talented at what they do. We have a lot of great events and festivals that celebrates new artists and helps them prosper. The whole clubbing scene out here is crazy, we literally go out from tuesday-sunday, and foreign people can't keep up with the wave! We like getting drunk and we love good music. 

In my opinion I believe your voice is very unique in today's music. Did you ever take voice lessons or did your voice come naturally? 

N: Thank you very much! I've never had any voice lessons, I've always had a high-pitched voice (same as my laugh, which people find extremely annoying) I've just always liked trying different things with my voice but I learned to accept the fact that I will forever sound like a 12 year old, which is fine with me. Some people find it cute. 

Which musicians inspired you to produce? 

N: My dad was a DJ back in Miami, and I've always been influenced by him and his music. He has boxes filled with vinyls! I think that me trying to produce was meant to be, seen as I was surrounded by music all the time. My friend Blake Jordan who's a producer/DJ was definitely the guy who encouraged me to try it out. 

Favorite J Dilla track? 

N: Is there such thing? I'm too big of a Dilla fan, but I'd have to say 'African Rhythms', the live drums and bass is so sick.. Or maybe 'Mash' or 'U-luv' or 'Fly girl'... I could go on haha. 

Do you go digging for records? What are some of your favorite vinyls that you own? 


N: I have only bought two records in my life, 'A Long Hot Summer' by Master Ace and 'Special Herbs vol.1&2' by MF DOOM. Everything else I own is from my dad. My favorite vinyls are 'Ruff Draft' by Dilla, '12-play' by R. Kelly, 'Duke Ellington meets Coleman Hawkins' by Duke Ellington and Coleman Hawkins and 'Reality Rap' by Infamous Mobb.. But I have a lot of unnamed shit as well, like a bunch of jazz records with no artist name, that shit is so tight! 

Are you currently working on a project? Will we be seeing an EP, mix tape, or an album anytime soon?

N: I'm working on an EP, or we're starting in a couple of weeks. It's with two of my friends who are both very talented producers, s/o 2 Jagan Mai and Blake Jordan.

Have you received any negative feedback yet? If so how do you deal with it? 

N: I have, but it's mostly been people complaining about the quality of my music. People need to realize that I've recorded everything on my Mac or on my iPhone, I haven't had the opportunity to use an actual mic. I don't really respond to negativity, I like to focus on all the nice stuff people tell me, that will help me grow as a person and as an artist. People always seem to dwell on salty comments and negative attitudes, but that won't help you. So quit all the chit-chatting, bad-mouthing and focus on yourself, your progress and your product. 

Not only are you known for your music but also for your great selfies. What is the secret to a perfect selfie? 

N: Hahaha, I can't even take real selfies anymore. I broke the front screen of my phone, so every time I try to take a picture, it's all blurry. All I do is mirror pics now. Selfies are great, they let you stunt on people for a min, show em ur beautiful. Atta boy, get it gurl. 

How close are you to getting your own studio? 

N: Far from close. We're trying to set up all my friends equipment in my room, so we can record over the summer, but I don't know how it'll go because the isolation in my room is trash. But if anyone is feeling generous and wants to help a young girl get her shit together, you can paypal me on 'Nigarkanawati@hotmail.com' ...every dolla counts!  

How did you happen to record the couple songs you have out now? What was the process and what programs did you use?

N: Well I started producing back in January '13, and after a while I realized how boring I thought it was. Like it was fun making the beat, but I didn't know how to express myself with it. I always liked singing, writing, rapping, so one day me and my friends got really drunk, put on a Dilla beat, and i started freestyling; one of my friends was recording it and we listened to it the day after and got really high to it. So i decided to write it down, do it over and voila.... ''idk bout rapper boyfriends'' was made. I record on garage band, it's the easiest for me. 

Besides Earth what is your favorite planet? 

N: The moon, because she's fucking gorgeous. (s/o 2 Rejjie Snow)

*Referenced track:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-3q0e-ZRsg *

Describe your past relationships?


N: Shitty, shitty, shitty. I haven't always been this confidence in who I am as a person, therefore I was always the laid-back and weak link in a relationship. I never spoke up. But that shit is way different now, if I'm feeling some sorta way, I will let you know! 

What is your ideal date?

N: Getting really high on a roof and then just talking about everything from food to traveling to how I used to write love letters in other people's name back in 5th grade. 

Who is your dream rapper boyfriend? 

N: I don't wanna put him on blast like that, but me and Drake been talking for a while. #on #everything

How do you hope people react to your music? 

N: I hope people can relate to it, especially girls my age, plus/minus. I just want people to know that we all go through the same shit with love, life, being broke and getting high; my way to deal with it is to put in songs. I hope it makes people think ''yo, this girl is in the exact same situation as me''... A lot of people tell me they get high to my music, so smoke up. 

Lastly what is your philosophy for living a happy life? 

N: You can only be truly happy when you realize that everyone is selfish and everyone is going to do what they want to do! So do what you want to do, have fun and get the best out of every single day. I don't want to go networking with boring ass people, talk contracts and money, I just want to make music for ever. I can't tell people how to be happy, but I can tell you that you won't be happy as long as you're salty! Hope everyone has a great life and reaches all their goals!


Twitter: https://twitter.com/yuungest
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/yungest

No comments:

Post a Comment